Park Mużakowski / Muskauer Park, located on the Polish-German border, on the Lusatian Neisse river, has become the set for the fourth choreographic film project of the Polish Dance Theater. Distinct parts of the park, extending on two riverbanks, complement each other creating a compositional wholeness. Such a different character of the eastern and western sides of Muskau Park inspired and created a natural canvas for the film image TA MARA. Saturated colours and lines of colours taken from the works of Tamara Łempicka create the compositions of respective scenes. The movement created by female dancers from the Polish Dance Theater team reflects the elegance, precision and figurality visible in Łempicka's paintings. You can also feel fire and tension in the choreography, which characterise the work of Tamara de Lempitky.
Tamara Łempicka claimed until the very end of her life that she "had tried everything". She saw openness to new experiences as an artist's duty. She enjoyed the beauty "be it a sensual female body or an angular male body". These are her pictures: non-obvious, beautiful, with clearly outlined lines, "angular", full of art deco atmosphere.
The park, whose founder was Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau, has been on the UNESCO List of World Cultural and Natural Heritage since 2004. The uniqueness of this area is still being discovered. We hope that the landscapes of the park captured in the film will become an inspiration to visit it, while the film image composed in the spirit of art deco and the dance of extraordinary women—artists of the Polish Dance Theater will cause a creative frenzy and the courage to go beyond what is conventional.
Movie on Facebook
- Inspired Dance Film Festival 2021, Perth, Australia, November 13-14, 2021 - Honorable Mention
Official selections and screenings:
- FilmFest by Rogue Dancer, April 2021, online - Official Selection
- Short Waves Festival 2021, Poznań, Poland June 14--20 - Official Selection
- Granice Natury - Granice Kultury, Poznań, Poland, April 23-30, Online Festival - Screening
- RIFF (R.E.D. International Film Festival / dance-art-cinema) 2021, Eina, Norway, June 25-July 3 - Official Selection
- Versatility Dance Festival, 2021, Boulder, Colorado, United States, August 14–15 - Official Selection
- FIVideodanza (Mexico City Videodance Festival), 2021, Mexico City, September 2-12 2021 - Official Selection
- WildDogs International Screendance Festival 2021, Calgary, Canada, September 18-19 - Official Selection
- Thessaloniki Cinedane International 2021, Thessaloniki, Greece, September 24–26 - Official Selection
- Festival Internacional VideoDanzaBA 2021, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 15 - November 11, 2021 - Screening
- InShadow - Lisbon Screendance Festival, Lisbon, Portugal, November 14 – December 17, 2022 - Official Selection
- IMARP - Mostra Internacional de dança - Imagens em Movimento - Video dança - São Paulo, Brasil, December 13 – 18, 2021 - Official Selection
- Cuerpo Mediado Festival de Videodanza, Santa Fe, Argentina - November 22-28, 2021 - Official Selection
- 12th ATHENS VIDEO DANCE PROJECT, Athens, Greece, December 17-19, 2021 - Offficial Selection
- Midwest RAD Fest, Kalamazoo, USA, March 3-6, 2022 - Offficial Selection
- Beirut International Women Film Festival, Beirut, Lebanon, March 6, 2022 - Official Selection
- Montreal - The International Festival of Films on Art (FIFA), Montreal, Canada, March 15-27, 2022 - Official Selection
- ScreenDance Festival, Stockholm, Sweden, April 24 – 29, 2022 - Official Selection
- Muestra Movimiento Audiovisual, Guadalajara, Mexico, April 4 – June 30, 2022 - Official Selection
- ReelHeART International Film and Screenplay Festival, Toronto, Canada, July 3 – 9, 2022 - Official Selection
- On Art – Poland, Warsaw, Poland, July 7 September 9, 2022 - Official Selection
"Ta Mara" was presented in the frame of EXPO 2020 World Exhibition in Dubai (1st of October 2021 - 31st of March 2022).
script and direction:
artists-dancers of the Polish Dance Theatre:
Canzona a 4
Partita III /fragment/
director of photography:
color correction and post-production:
Mirosław Felix Mamczur
location selection and costume idea:
makeup and hairstyles:
Usługowy Zakład Krawiecki Elżbieta Sobańska
2K4K film rental
Samo Pro Rental House
collaboration on the part of the Muskauer Park in Łęknica
Canzona a 4 performed by
IL TEMPO, 2004
with the consent of DUX Lech Tołwiński Małgorzata Polańska Szostakowska Sp. J.
Partita III performed by
Wielka Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia w Katowicach, 1994
Polskie Radio S.A.
CD Accord, ACD38, 1997
The photographs were taken during the film choreographic project TA MARA in the Muskauer Park in Łęknica and Bad Muskau.
For making the project possible the Polish Dance Theatre
would like to express gratitude to:
the National Institute of Polish Heritage
and the Fürst-Pückler-Park Bad Muskau Foundation.
landscapes of Mużakowski Parki used in the film:
on Polish side: Reed Meadow, Roth's Meadow
on German side: Meadow of Tears / Sheep Valley (Tränenwiese / Schnuckental)
Special thanks for help with the photo shots to:
Barbara Iwlew ‒ Head of the Field Laboratory of the National Heritage Institute "Park Mużakowski" in Łęknica
Ewa Johny ‒ landscape architect and coordinator of Polish-German cooperation.
production: Polski Teatr Tańca
Instytucja Kultury Samorządu Województwa Wielkopolskiego
co-production: Instytut Adama Mickiewicza/ Culture.pl
cooperation: Instytut Polski w Düsseldorfie